Take a glimpse into the life of Kylie Klein! Hopefully you leave inspired . . . or at least entertained!

Friday, May 20, 2011

7th Grade Honorable Mention - Neal Peart

I love this essay, and I think it's cool that a 7th grader wants to meet the drummer of RUSH! Nicely written, great research, a fabulous essay. Kylie

Bryetan
Indian Hills Middle School
Seventh Grade

If I Could Meet Neil Pert

If I could meet anyone in the world, from any country, during any time period, it would be Neil Peart. I want to meet Neil Peart, because he is the legendary drummer for the rock band Rush. He is known as one of the best drummers in the world. Not only is he a drummer, but he is also a lyricist and writer. I would like to meet him, because I think he is the greatest drummer, and I want to be a great drummer, too. I could learn a lot from Neil Peart.

I would want Neil Peart to feel comfortable, so I would insist that we meet at a recording studio. Neil Peart has spent countless hours in a studio recording his music. This would be a great place for him to show me his work. Neil and I could also have a lot of fun in the music studio. He could show me what it’s like to record a track, and we could also record the two of us having a drum session. I would also like it if Neil Peart could teach me a few things in the studio. It would be great if he could tell me a few ways to improve my drumming. I think he would feel very comfortable doing all of these things in the recording studio.

The first question I would ask Neil Peart is, “how did you learn to play the drums?” I would ask this question, because I want to know if he was self-taught or if he had professional lessons. I take lessons from a professional, so I am curious how Neil Peart started learning. I would learn about the training he had to do to become so successful. I would get his advice about how to improve my drum skills; like how much to practice, what to practice, and what kind of equipment is best. I am sure Neil Peart would have great advice, and with his help, I know my drumming skills would improve.

I would also like to ask Neil Peart how he became a writer. He has written books and music lyrics. I would like to know how he became so talented. I think writing a book is a lot different than playing the drums, and I would like to know if it was hard or easy for him to do. Writing music lyrics seems to go with playing the drums, but I’m not sure if I could do it. I know Neil Peart could give me some tips, so I could start writing my own music lyrics.

I would like Neil Peart to know how his drumming has influenced my life. His endurance, imagination and drumming success has inspired me to work harder by practicing more often. When I don’t feel like practicing, I think of Neil Peart, and he inspires me to work harder. He didn’t make it big right away, he had to struggle, and that gives me hope and patience. It tells me not to give up and to keep on trying. I also like that he likes several music styles, and that makes me want to learn about other music styles, too. I usually only want to play rock music, but because of Neil Peart, I want to attempt other styles.

Neil Peart has had a long career as the drummer for Rush. In addition to being an incredible drummer, he is also a lyricist, writer, and a drum kit creator. He makes me want to be a better drummer, and keep practicing. He makes me think I can do many things, as long as I practice. He also has made me curious about other styles of drumming and music. He has inspired me to be better, and take my drumming more seriously. Because of these reasons, I would love to meet and learn all I can from Neil Peart.

No comments:

Post a Comment